BEIJING: Three men were condemned to death on Friday and a pregnant woman given life in prison for a mass stabbing that killed 31 people in China, a court said, an attack authorities blamed on separatists from Xinjiang.

The three men were convicted of “leading a terrorist group” which planned and carried out the attack, the Intermediate People’s Court in Kunming said in a statement.

The March 1 carnage at a train station in Kunming, in the south-western province of Yunnan, also saw more than 140 people wounded and was dubbed ‘China’s 9/11’ by state-run media.

Beijing blamed it on “separatists” from the resource-rich far-western region of Xinjiang, where at least 200 have died in attacks and clashes between locals and security forces over the last year.

Four armed guards in helmets and dark clothing, and holding automatic weapons, were positioned inside the courtroom opposite the accused, state broadcaster CCTV showed.

The suspects, whose names appear to identify them as members of the Uighur minority, wore prison clothes, and each had a separate dock, with two police officers sitting behind.

Published in Dawn, September 13th, 2014

Opinion

Sexual abuse by Israel

Sexual abuse by Israel

Thousands of Palestinian men, women and children are languishing in Israeli prisons in subhuman conditions, with many routinely subjected to sexual abuse.

Editorial

Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...
Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...